Fair enough.
You'd be missing out. Why? Because the correct title of this post should probably be More examples of Mel being an idiot, or Mel thinks the day her ten year old comes clean about his online gambling addiction has to be better than this. Or even, Do you think my sixteen year old could still get a date to prom if he's rocking a disposable Mickey Mouse under his cargo shorts?
I've learned a few things so far. Please, take these incredibly obvious failures of mine and laugh.
First, potty treats. We went the bribery route. Did anyone doubt I'd take another path? I would advise you don't buy your absolute favorite candy to do the job. Phin is pretty much a mini Mel in some ways. We run into walls, we think the fastest way to make friends at a party is to get down on all fours and start meowing like a cat and we love all things gummy. So when he picked out a giant bag of gummy candy and M&Ms for his potty treat jar I was all, "Yeeeahhhh!" Or it might have been one of those moments I wanted to channel my inner Ryan Lochte broness and let a Jeah escape. Maybe.
Five days later his jar was empty, he had only used the restroom four times and that postpartum cellulite on my butt started taking on a life of it's own. I swear I heard my husband softly singing "Gummi Bears! Bouncing here and there and everywhere. High adventure that's beyond compare. She's a Gummi Bear", while I crawled into bed last night. He swears all the food dye got to my brain. We're going to try again with those crappy black and orange taffies that the kid hating houses give out on Halloween.
You want another gem we learned the hard way? Don't start potty training on a day you'll be out of the house. I knew this one. My husband, however, thinks trial by fire is the best way to do anything. You would think firemen have the same approach to life, right? Not when a two year old pees all over the inside of the fire engine they're giving tours of. Suddenly they are the most cautious and judgmental group out there. That sucked. I hid in a bathroom with Phin while Jared took over. A bathroom Phin had just used ten minutes before the tour. JUST USED! Well played Phin.
Don't compare. Really, just don't. There was a nice little humble brag from someone on facebook about potty training the other day and my hormonal, sleep deprived self was all "Suck it!" to the screen. Then I wanted to post about how my child never comes out of his room without knocking, takes four hour naps and has half of the Oxford English Dictionary memorized. That sucker is two volumes and requires a magnifying glass.
Instead I ate another handful of gummy candy and cried while watching The Voice. Some of those people are just so damn good.
Anyway. Comparing = unhappy. Unhappy= more candy consumption. More candy consumption = more cellulite. More cellulite = more eighties cartoon theme songs running through your head. Who knows what body issues my subconscious is dealing with if I start hearing music from Fraggle Rock or even worse, The Snorks.
So go forth toddler rearing humans! Master the art of the child intestine! Tame the toilet hater! Win the respect of fire engine tour givers everywhere!

Potty training does suck, I concur.
ReplyDeleteHeidi potty trained herself pretty early, but then untrained herself and started peeing in random places and on top of people just for the thrill of it. Not cool.
Whoa, I guess I should consider myself lucky he didn't pee on the actual firemen. Not cool at all Heidi.
DeleteOh Mel, you are crazy! why why do you potty train when you are still so tired. You are expecting to much of yourself (just my opinion) Don't worry, someone told me she won't go to Kindergarten untrained just wait till you ready, best advice ever because I had this huge plan to do it right when she turned two yes Wyatt would have been 2 weeks old. SO glad I didn't do that, anyhow we are going to start in a few weeks, but I was thinking the other day I need to start right now because she is so interested so I went on to baby center and posted because I knew I was going to be busy and some wise mom told me, if she's interested now she will be in two weeks. Anyhow Probably to late to be tell you all this, so I hope the training is going well, but I won't blame you if you give up either. Good luck you are definetly in my thoughts, because wow I struggled those first few weeks. Anyhow, can't wait to hang out again this week, even though you probably wont see this before I post we do I really wished I had more time to talk to you yesterday.
ReplyDeleteSadly this process started pre Gray. We are taking the really, really long road to diaper freedom. Like, russian novel long.
DeleteI'm stoked we're getting together too! Looking forward to..wait, what day is that again? I'll text you.
Sheesh! I'm taking notes! Potty training does not sound easy! But don't worry, you'll get there! Most people are potty trained eventually...right? :)
ReplyDeleteGray is so beautiful! I just can't help it: Awwwwww!!!
CONGRATS!! He's beautiful! So happy for you! Yeah I'm sure potty training is the worst!!! Not looking forward to that!! Ewww. Pretty funny post though! So glad you're not pregnant anymore! : )
ReplyDeleteyeah, potty training ... that is on my list of one of the most hardest things to ever do. i know this because of my sister, bless her heart, lol.
ReplyDeleteAnd Gray ... seriously, you make the cutest babies! in LOVE!