Thursday, July 25, 2013

A pretty perfect day in not so perfect circumstances.

Nothing extraordinary or exciting happened the day before yesterday, but everything fell into place and that was enough to make it a day worth writing about.

The problem is I have incredible writers block. Going on several months now. Every time I sit down to type I write out ten sentences, delete, start over, delete, walk away. Watch Rescuebots with Phin for 22 minutes, eat a bag of croutons, pin 42 recipes that I’ll never even look at again let alone make. You know, the regular.

So don’t expect anything but the facts people. My writing muscles are wimpy so this is more like a walk around the block than a marathon.

We celebrated Christmas in July at work. One of my very favorite people is moving at the end of August which will prevent her from helping me with our annual Christmas music countdown. This is serious business humans. Around October, we sit down with a calendar and plan the exact day we can start playing the occasional song to the moment we can bust it out full time. Then it is posted on the wall calendar for all to observe. I know everyone in our office is devastated, destroyed even, that this tradition is no longer. I didn't see any visible tears, but I work with a stoic bunch. They are probably all internalizing it.

To help ease the pain we brought out our Christmas wear, loaded our playlist with the classics and ate Christmas cookies and fudge around a tiny little tree we set up. My co-workers have learned that they just need to go along with these things. As long as there is food, “Merry Christmas!”

Yesterday I did hear one of my co-workers grumbling how the workday after a holiday is always so long. Also, my pants are a little tighter today. I always gain weight around the holidays. So gluttonous.

The afternoon was more subdued. I left work early so I could go with my kids and husband to visit my grandpa who is on hospice care at home. I really don’t want to write about this other than to say life is beautiful and life is hard. Sometimes at the same time, which is a very humbling thing.

At the end of the day, Jared and I made dinner in the kitchen while our kids played in the backyard. We were blasting Chicago's Greatest hits, one step away REO Speedwagon, watching them run and crawl around. It should be noted that I'm using the term crawl quite liberally. Gray uses one foot on the floor while dragging his other leg folded under him. Think Gollum. Either way, I kept staring at those wild, wild kids of mine thinking, “Holy crap, what else do I need?”

This has been a tough year for my little family, which makes us big wimps to be honest, but a day where everything fell into place made it all seem ok. There are days for adventure but right now I’ll take uneventful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...