Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Old emails remind me what a crazy I am.

My email inbox is getting a little out of control. There are many reasons for this but really it comes down to one simple fact, I’m an info hoarder. I love looking back on little correspondences that remind me what was going on in my life right then.

Like the time I was convinced I could become good friends with a fun, neurotic professor on campus. I told Jared I wanted to get to the point where we would walk around campus in the fall eating apples and having deep conversations about independent films and undiscovered authors. I also planned on good campus gossip. Didn’t happen, wasn't even invited to his wedding. Weird. But we did have quite the string of funny email exchanges in 2008. And by funny I mean very, very serious discussions on how to get my bedazzled, flaming baton into the 2012 Olympics. I also tried to hit him up for some connections to the Russian spy circuit. Clearly I didn’t have enough follow through because my unitard with the rhinestone American flag still hangs in my closet and my super deluxe eastern European passport sits lonely in the junk drawer next to a broken glue gun. I can’t even look at apples this time of year without feeling a twinge of regret.

Even better are the exchanges with my long gone work buddy that almost got me in trouble when I tried to find the perfect unicorn in google images. Who knew there would be so many explicit pictures? Never before has a mythical creature led such a double life.  

Best are the little love notes from the husband. Example. “I saved you the last piece of pie. It’s behind the milk.” “Don’t worry about the dishes, I’ll do them when I get home.”  Really though, I have emails from just days after we met. I also have the real thing, handwritten notes he left me tucked away in a wooden box. Lest we forgot I’m a total girl at heart and that’s what we tend to do, save the special little things that remind us.

So tell me, what have you saved? Do you have any real, hand written letters? I'd love a box of them from the people I love to sift through on days I'm feeling small.


Pic source unknown. Is is yours? Tell me.

5 comments:

  1. I do this too!

    I have a giant ziplock bag full of every note that has ever been written to me. Half of them are essentially love letters and art from guys I barely knew. I got a lot of those back in the day. Then there are the hand written letters my girlfriends and I would write to each other because "friends don't let friends have empty mail boxes". And finally, and probably, my most treasured letter - A letter written to me from my mother, who urged me to marry the man I loved despite my father's disapproval at the time.

    I don't enjoy looking through emails as much because I always feel one of two things while reading my part of the correspondence - either a) embarrassed at what an idiot i was or b) sad that I no longer put as much effort into my writing. I feel like I used to be so much wittier. A and B contradict one another. I guess that makes me crazy also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My email box is overcrowded and there are buckets, BUCKETS i tell ya, of letters I just can't throw away stashed underneath my bed.

    maybe we should start a group?

    ReplyDelete
  3. T- I feel the exact same way about this blog. I hate reading old posts because I either think "Crap, why did I publish that shiz" or "I don't think I can ever be that funny again. I suck." So pretty much it rests in peace after I post.

    Christine - Maybe we can all write each other letters about how we feel and vow to burn them. Of course we'd never go through with the actual burning and just lie to each other. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl you seriously crack me up! My email is overcrowded (almost 2,000), because they just pile up and then I never want to go through and delete them all. Now I DEFINITELY don't want to delete all those! Ugh. I also suck at returning emails. Like...REALLy suck. But I'm so sorry, I don't want my whole life to be virutual and I feel like it would be if I wrote back in heartfeltness (a word?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - I was at my mom's house recently and she pulled out a shoe box FULL of every frikkin' letter I ever wrote to my friends in high school ... you know, the kind that teenage girls intricately fold with little stars and hearts, gossiping about who is cute? Do they still do that, or is it just via text???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...